Felipe Massa has reportedly agreed to come out of retirement to rejoin Williams incoming season. Moreover, to replace Valtteri Bottas, who will replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes.
The 35-year-old Brazilian declared his retirement in September this year. Felipe called off his 14 years of Formula One Career in 2016 at 11th position. However, he seems to make a comeback.
Williams indicated last week that they could let Bottas join Mercedes in 2017 if they could entice Massa back.
Deputy team chief Claire Williams told BBC Sport: “If we did allow Bottas to farewell, we would only do this if an experienced, credible alternative was available, such as somebody like Felipe Massa, for example.”
News reports in Italy, Brazil, and Britain on Tuesday evening claimed Massa has indeed been persuaded to end his retirement, with the issue now dependent on Bottas’ next step.
Mercedes have had one offer for Finnish racer Bottas discarded as they search for a replacement for Rosberg.
Rosberg, 31, stunned the racing world when he chose to resign only five days after becoming world champion. Moreover this decision made room for someone else to join AMG Petronas Mercedes F1 Team.
Prior on Tuesday, Mercedes non-official administrator, Niki Lauda demanded his team were yet to settle on a choice on Rosberg’s substitution. Furthermore said they might hold up the decision until the end of January before making a declaration.
In the mean time, Williams has declared chief technical officer Pat Symonds will venture down from his part – with bits of gossip continuing that Paddy Lowe of Mercedes is set to fill the position.
Symonds has been with the British team since 2013, however, has decided to end his service this year.
The 63-year-old, who had a storied history in F1, touched base at Williams from Virgin Racing amidst the 2013 season, helping the team to third in the constructors’ title in his first full year.
Lowe, the technical executive chief of Mercedes may take up a senior technical position at Williams.